companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Getting Ready for the Holidays--Mini Strawberry Cheesecake "Martinis"

Whew am I tired! Thanksgiving was great. I got to spend it with my oldest son and daughter-in-law. We shared the cooking. It was weird to be in a big kitchen. Mine is so desperately tiny. Having two or more in one culinary space was awesome.  We had a wonderful meal and time together.

Then it was my birthday yesterday. I had a gourmet burger...Thai style. I may try duplicating that one here at home. But not tonight. Being the end of the month, I had to get the Diner News out. I was still creating this evening, but it got mailed out in time. We have had such dreary weather for more than a week. No sun. Terrible time taking photos. Add to that that it is almost dark by the time I get home from school, and getting this issue out has been a real challenge. I submit tonight's dessert anyway. Despite the dark, it was so good. You will just have to forgive me for the photo quality and judge on taste instead.

One page of the Diner News for December is devoted to mini desserts. That way, guests can have variety of tastes to choose from. These are perfect for Christmas parties, and guests love them. If you are frugal like me, you will be collecting all the plastic shooters and fancy cups to wash and use again. But if one gets lost in the trash, no huge problem, after all, they are inexpensive. I am creating some links to. I am featuring dessert shooters in the Amazon Store. (See right) If you would like to make these, please consider purchasing your cups through my store. Every little bit helps since my husband is out of work. They are under serveware.

Tonight my middle son came over for our regular Monday night dinner. I served these Mini Cheesecake Martinis. He ate two and licked them clean. Last week, he sampled the Honey Roasted Peanut Shooters. Thumbs up on both. He is so skinny now, I find myself trying to feed him more! One small one is good for me, though! We meant to decorate the Christmas tree, but ran out of time. That's life around here. So much to do...

If you like cheesecake, you will like these. Super easy. Of course, you don't have to settle for just the tiny portions of a mini dessert. Go ahead and make the recipe for 4 rather than 8 if you like. That should be right for a standard martini glass, I think. Not sure, I don't know that I have ever had a true martini. Around here, no one has a huge sweet tooth either. In fact, after eating his two desserts, Pearson went in and got another helping of the Southwestern Beef I had served for dinner. Funny how we can not end on sweet. I noticed his big brother doing that at Thanksgiving too. Dessert lover or not, you will like this.



Strawberry Cheesecake Martinis
8 oz Neufchatel cheese
8 oz sour cream
1/4 cup cashew milk, unsweetened
3/4 cup erythritol /stevia blend
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
3 tbsp erythritol /stevia blend
2 tbsp water

In a medium mixing bowl, combine Neufchatel, sour cream,  and cashew milk. Beat with hand mixer until smooth. Stir in sweetener and vanilla. Transfer to martini glasses.

In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries, sweetener and water. Cook on low heat until berries are tender. Mash them with a fork. Distribute berry sauce over the cheesecake mixture.

Serves 8:  141 calories  5 net g carb




Isn't that a pretty cake plate? It was a birthday gift from my sweet mom. She knows I have a thing for red glass, and anything with a pedestal. I have to limit my collection of cake plates, but got this one anyway. I can't wait to see it in good light! If you are going high fat, feel free to use cream cheese and whipping cream in place of the cashew milk.

The Diner News is out. I am tired, but I wanted to give you a peek into what you are getting this month. Good things await for a splendid holiday season.
Cinnamon Swirl Cheesecake

Honey Roasted Peanut Shooters

Celestial Wassail

Red Velvet Cakes

Gingerbread Spice Crockpot Punch

Italian Sausage Balls

Red Velvet Cake Shooters

German Chocolate Fudge

Red Velvet Meringues

Heaven's Cloud Eggnog

Roasted Asparagus with Ham

Cranberry Ginger Ale

Maple Peanut Butter Fudge

Snickers Dessert Shots
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
That is not even all that I have crammed into this holiday issue. Don't you think you should order the Diner News?     http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html

And don't forget to check out what is going on over on the Among Friends pages.



and


Order our book series! Here. We have a sale going on now. Be sure to own every volume before the holiday season is over! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The Strawberry Cheesecake Martini mentions heavy cream in the directions, but it is not listed in the ingredients?

Lisa Marshall said...

Wren, Thanks for catching that for me. I removed it from my first version. I forgot to remove it from the text. All fixed now.

unter der laterne said...

Hi Lisa, I want to thank you for the recipes and wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a very good and prosperous New Year. I hope that your husband will
find a great job.!
Be safe and be well! Barbara.
P.S I do not have a facebook account !

unter der laterne said...

Lisa, what is your favourite Sweetener, besides Swerve (too expensive) !
I was thinking of mixing my own , I do not know the proportion.
(Erythritrol and powdered Stevia . Do you have a recipe for that?

What do you use?
I hope that you have the time to help me with this !
Main motivator is to save money,lol.

Thank you !

Lisa Marshall said...

You have so many options for sweeteners. If you are trying to save money, I completely understand. A couple of options. You can make your own with a package of erythritol and some pure powdered stevia. For a cup to cup conversion, use 1 cup eryhtritol and 1/2 tsp stevia. Or, make it double strength, and add a full teaspoon of stevia. You might also check your Walmart. Mine has been selling Pyure for under $7 a pound. This is more than twice as sweet as sugar cup for cup. http://www.pyuresweet.com/retail-products/organic-all-purpose-stevia-sweetener/ I like it, but you do need to adjust recipes. All granular erythritol sweeteners can be powdered in a bullet blender. If you decide to look at the Pyure, be sure not to get the baking blend, as it has maltodextrin.

To save the most money, you could go with sucralose sweeteners. I do still use them from time to time.

unter der laterne said...

Thank you so much Lisa!
You said, make it double strength and add 1 teaspoon , question : 1 teaspoon to 1 cup Erythritrol or 2 cups. I think you mean 1 teaspoon to 1 cup Erythritol .?

unter der laterne said...

No Need to answer! I feel really stupid now, lol.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope that the New year will be good to
you. Sincerely Barbara!