companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Roasted Delicata and Cranberries

This dish featured in the Thanksgiving issue of the Diner News. I love it.

The squash is sweet and creamy, but the cranberries. They surely MAKE the dish. Roasted cranberries are tart, yet so very interesting. I adore how they blend with the squash. And the cheese--well that just takes it over the top. I just don't have a large enough vocabulary to describe this one. You really must try it for yourself. I ate it as leftover three times and loved it each time. Maybe even a little bit more with every bite.

Besides being a taste sensation, it is gorgeous to behold. Can't you just see this on your Thanksgiving table? I chose Delicata squash because you don't have to peel it. The skin is tender once baked, and it is so much easier to cut. You can certainly use any winter squash for this recipe. The variety available in the market now is one reason why I love fall! The trick is waiting for the cranberries to arrive. As soon as they did, I created this dish. I had some frozen berries from last winter, but used them all up. My discovery of roasted cranberries was a turning point for me this year. Cranberries are definitely more popular in my kitchen this year than ever!

Roasted Delicata
and Cranberries

1 large Delicata Squash
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 tbsp granulated erythritol/stevia blend
   mixed with 1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 oz crumbled feta cheese

Dice the Delicata squash into bite sized pieces. Toss with olive oil and distribute evenly on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and add cranberries. Bake an additional 10 –15 minutes until berries are soft and bursting. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sweetener/cinnamon mixture.  Toss gently before removing to a large serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top.

Serves 6:  82 calories    7 net g carb



You really do want to try this dish. If you want even more Thanksgiving sides, be sure to be a subscriber to the Diner News.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html


And don't forget, we have lots of ideas for the holidays.  Get more great  low carb recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends.

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, A Table for Two here. 

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I was going to make this over the weekend and when I went to get my squash I realized it was a spaghetti squash and not a Delicata :(

Since I wasn't in the mood for spaghetti I just watched football instead! But this does look delicious!

changing lives said...

We don't have Delicata here. Can another squash be used?

Lisa Marshall said...

Yes, any winter squash will work, but you will need to peel the other types before cooking.

Unknown said...

Made this with butternut squash, DELISH!! The sweetness of the squash, tartness of cranberries and saltiness of the feta are perfect balance. I did not add cinnamon or sugar.