companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Pumpkin Lasagna

  
Seems that I have jumped ship from cranberries to pumpkins. I am finishing up the new recipes for October's Diner News. It is all about pumpkin. Lots of good stuff in there. And don't be thinking it is all sweets. No Siree. Like this recipe. Pumpkin Lasagna. Nice and cheesy, moist and yummy. The pumpkin pairs with garlic and is one of the layers in the dish. We also have sliced turkey, Provolone, ricotta, zucchini, Parmesan and Italian herbs. Quite good.

It may have a little less height than the traditional layers of gluten filled pasta. But those are just filler anyway. This will satisfy, I promise. I prebaked the zucchini ribbons so they would not give off moisture and make the casserole layers slide around. That did the trick. I only used one zucchini, but now that it is made, I am thinking of changing the recipe for two. I think that might fluff it up just a bit. You can do either. One zucchini sliced did take up the whole cookie sheet. I will go ahead and list the recipe as I made it. I will let you know the next time I try it with two. Or you let me know!

Pumpkin Lasagna
1 large zucchini (or 2)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tbsp minced garlic
15 oz ricotta cheese
6 oz sliced turkey
8 slices Provolone cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Italian Herb and Garlic seasoning

Using a mandolin slicer, thinly cut zucchini lengthwise. Line zucchini strips in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet, Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin puree and garlic. Spoon 1/4 cup of the pumpkin into the base of a 9 inch square baking dish. Place  a layer of turkey slices over that. Top the turkey with a layer of ricotta cheese. Sprinkle herbs over the ricotta. Place 4 slices of provolone cheese, then an additional layer of pumpkin. Carefully place zucchini strips over this, them a layer of Parmesan cheese. Repeat with turkey, ricotta, herbs, provolone , zucchini, and  Parmesan. End with ricotta and a sprinkle of Italian herbs.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Serves 6:  292 calories  8 net g carbs



 I am so into fall, but it is still so hot here. I can't wait for the really cool weather. Hate to be sweating while I am taste testing pumpkin hot cocoa, you know? I have lots of fall goodies for this month's Diner News. Check back on Wednesday for a peek.


Get more great  low carb recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends.

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, A Table for Two here. 

No comments: