companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, February 25, 2013

Pork Chili Verde

Move over Boston. The Boston Butt is going south of the border. This weekend, I made my Triple Play Boston Butt Pork Roast--pork shoulder if you prefer. Since the idea is to change up the flavors, I used pork cubes to make a tasty chile verde. There are several ways of doing this. Roast and process fresh tomatillos. Too much trouble. Use green enchilada sauce. Too many carbs. Or use chile verde salsa. Like spicy? This is my choice. Easy. Just dice some of that cold pork roast and throw it all in the pot with some other simple and tasty ingredients. A few minutes to simmer and dinner is served. For the carby eaters, this is good over some crushed tortillas and topped with cheese. It is good straight from the bowl too, so don't fret. A dollup of sour cream will cut that heat.

The Diner News for March will feature more ways to use the leftovers from a big Boston Butt. Cook once, eat three times with just a little more effort. Oh yeah.



Pork Chili Verde

1 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups cubed or shredded pork
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp dried cilantro
1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
 1 1/2 cup chicken broth

Brown onion in butter. Stir in garlic. Add pork and brown slightly. Sprinkle coconut flour over pork and toss. Stir in the cilantro, one jar of salsa and the chicken broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.


So maybe this is not the most beautiful meal. And I know this is not the best photo, but it is just another work day, and this one for me was dark and full of cold rain. A hot steamy bowl of Chili Verde was perfect to warm us of after we shook off a layer of sleet. Blizzard warnings are not far away, but we are getting by with just a winter storm tonight. Glad to get it over  with since the big wedding is this weekend. Lots to do until then. Glad I have food prepped for us and for guests.  Such a busy time, but I am glad to be gaining a daughter.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

This looks good to me. I love pork chile verde! I've been searching for a good recipe. I'll try it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

So is the pork going into this cooked or raw?

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Oh wow, congrats on the wedding coming up!! Jon and Yara got married in a civil wedding in January and the wedding ceremony is only in May as well as the honeymoon. Things are done a bit differently here. ;) I know what you mean about gaining a daughter. Since I only had sons, it's a wonderful experience and I know I'm going to enjoy it and I am! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa Marshall said...

The pork is pre-cooked. Triple Play meals work that way, but I can see how that might be confusing if you aren't used to the Diner system. We have been eating on this Boston Butt for a while and I still have some to go into the freezer. Cook once and eat many times!