companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cinn-a-stacks--a Copy Cat recipe from IHOP Fame

The 24/7 Low Carb Diner News for August is all about Copycats! I am taking favorite dishes from well known restaurants and creating low carb versions of those favorites we wish we could have. Fun stuff.

This morning's breakfast was simply amazing. Super sweet and cinnamony. Better than a cinnamon roll, better than pancakes. I swear it is low carb and gluten free. How can it be?

First, dig out your favorite pancake recipe. I tried out a new one this time based on Heather Eats Almond Butter's recipe that promised a fluffy pancake from almond flour. Mine were not so fluffy. The mixture felt like air, but they deflated after cooking. Try it if you want, or use your own. The cakes themselves taste great, and are not too hard to make. The recipe calls for seltzer water. Don't rush out and buy it. I don't know if those bubbles lasted. Since I own a Soda Stream machine, making bubbly water is no big deal for me. I do remember that some of my recipes from George Stella use carbonation too. I am still on the fence about the results. I think my coconut pancakes would be good here too.

What makes this meal is the Cinnamon Sauce. OMG amazing! I am so making this for donut holes and muffin icing. I used a brown sugar substitute from Ideal. That is xylitol. It made the sauce wonderful. At first I thought it was going to be too clumpy and not dissolve well. The addition of the half and half made all the difference in the consistency.  Update: I now use Swerve for this sauce. The "brown" doesn't seem to make a difference since the flavor is all spice! I adjusted the recipe as well to use Swerve.

For the cream cheese icing, I used powdered Swerve. It worked really well.


Copy Cat IHOP’s Cinn-a-stacks

 Pancake recipe of your choice (Low Carb)
Cinnamon Sauce
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup Swerve granular or powdered
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves
3 tbsp half-and-half

Cream Cheese Icing
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered Swerve
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Cinnamon Sauce:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in Swerve, cinnamon, salt, and cloves and cook while stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Whisk in coconut flour until well combined. The mixture may be lumpy. Cook 1 minute whiles stirring constantly. Add half-n-half, one tablespoon at a time, whisking until smooth and thick. Remove from heat.

Cream Cheese Icing:
Combine all ingredients for cream cheese icing in bowl. Spoon icing into a piping bag.

Make your batch of pancakes. To assemble cinn-a-stacks, spread a layer of cinnamon sauce on top of each pancake. Pipe the cream cheese frosting over that. Repeat with each pancake.

If serving 4, the toppings only are:   229 calories    22 g fat    2 net carbs  
Be sure to add in the stats for your favorite pancake.

So there you have a sneak peek into the August Diner News. There are some wonderful recipes in there!




Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

2 comments:

bevvbevv said...

I just discovered your blog and am loving it! These look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Lisa we loved these. My daughter and husband went crazy over the cinnamon syrup. Thank you so much we will make these again.