companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sweet Bacon Waffle Sticks

I do love playing around in the kitchen. Even though my kitchen time as been restricted with the launching of our new school, I still find some time to develop new recipes. I was in the mood for something bready--no that is not a word, but breadlike just seems wrong today. I am in too good a mood to pay attention to grammar and usage rules. I love my kitchen gadgets, so out came the waffle stick maker. Any waffle machine will work.

Since I was breaking menu protocol anyway...yes, I do that sometimes. Best laid plans and all...I decided to morph my coconut flour doughnut recipe into a waffle stick. It totally worked. So this is the not most natural recipe in my collection. I did take advantage of some sugarfree waffle syrup, and my other secret ingredient--Capella drops in the Sizzlin' Bacon flavor. Don't panic, it will be good without 'em as well. Inspired by the frozen food section and their many flavors of waffle, I decided to go for it. John and I were both enamored by this waffle. Savory bacon and sweet maple. That is a combo I was born to love!


For waffles, I added an extra egg to thin the batter a bit and some more baking soda to make it fluffier. I also used waffle syrup rather than the Da Vinci's. Here's the recipe. Extra bacon flavor or not.

 Sweet Bacon Waffles

1 strip of crumbled cooked bacon
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 packets sugar substitute
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil (OR coconut oil bacon dripping blend)
2 tbsp sugarfree waffle syrup
10  drops of Capella Sizzlin' Bacon flavoring drops (optional)

Additional syrup for topping

Fry bacon. Cool and crumble. Combine the coconut flour,  sweetener, and baking soda. Stir in the eggs, oil syrup and drops. Mix  until well combined. If your environment is cool and the mixture becomes too thick, just warm it in the microwave 15-30 seconds until thinned. Stir in the bacon crumbles. Spoon the batter into a heated waffle iron, sprayed with non-stick spray if necessary. Cook 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the waffle. Serve with additional syrup if desired.

If you don't have Capella flavor drops, I would suggest just replacing a couple tablespoons of coconut oil with bacon drippings. That will boost the flavor! These are just plain good. Who needs the carbs in the freezer section anyway?

5 comments:

Barbo's Low Carb Kitchen said...

How could you read my mind?

Am expeciting my little Belgian
Waffle maker to arrive any minute.
Was dreaming of the bacon waffles
that I made as a teen ager.
Remember the time when all waffle
irons stuck? There was nothing
in the world that was non-stick.

Thanks very much
barbo

Stacey said...

Oh wow! I need to pick up some coconut flour and make these. I'd have them for dinner right now!

alfred said...

When I use the Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle thing I can't help to think how similar they are to the waffles that I used to get for brunch when I was a little kid. It's also pretty nice that I know what I'm eating for breakfast...In fact, with the Cuisinart waffle maker, I enjoy quick breakfasts that do not involve processed food mixtures or overly sweet cereals.

Waffle on a stick

Diana said...

How many servings is this? Would I be able to substitute some of the coconut oil for coconut milk? (Either from a can or carton)

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!