companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, June 4, 2012

Green Chili Squash

It is squash season! I love mine with a little heat. I threw this dish together this morning when I did not feel like something sweet or another dish of scrambled eggs. It is really more like a side dish, and would be great for any meal of the day. But it works for a brunch too. I found my way to the bottom of the bowl.


Green Chili Squash


2 yellow squash
1/2 small onion
12 grape tomatoes
4 ounces diced green chilies
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese


Cut squash into 1/4 inch slices, then quarter the larger slices. Finely chop the onion. Halve the tomatoes. Heat the oil of your choice in a skillet. Add the vegetables and saute until barely tender. Add the green chilies and continue to cook the vegetables while making the sauce. In a small bowl, beat egg. Stir in yogurt and salt. Pour this into the hot skillet. Stir until the egg is cooked. Remove to a serving bowl and stir in the shredded cheese. Serves 2 as brunch or 4 as a side dish.

This may seem like to much salt, but I started with less and had to add more. As always, your mileage may vary, so if you are sensitive, start with a little less. This is really tasty with sour cream in place of the yogurt as well.

Since the hubby does not like chilies, I sent him off to work with a chicken salad with lots of celery. That is his favorite. Thank heaven for having pre-cooked chicken cubes on hand.

7 comments:

Retta said...

Oooh, I love yellow squash! I'll have to try this... thanks!

Chelle B said...

This sounds so delicious. I would love to try this sometime soon.

Asmodeus said...

Oil is missing from the ingredients list.

Lisa Marshall said...

Yah, I just add a splash if I am using my stainless steel skillet. I forget to add that to a recipe since pan prep varies with the pan and the user.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good, Lisa!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't believe my post actually went through finally, Lisa! :)

Lisa Marshall said...

hope to hear from you more often!