companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Saturday, January 7, 2012

A "Classical" Brunch Casserole


This egg casserole is a step beyond the average breakfast, yet it is simple enough for an everyday meal. I named it for the Classics, since it borrows flavors from Greece and Italy. Feta cheese is the star attraction, but it is accompanied by delicious Italian sausage, basil, oregano, garlic and spinach. It all blends so well. Not too much spinach, so it doesn't taste too much like my Philosopher's Quiche. My guys all loved it, and it is a classic beauty too.

This would be a perfect recipe to triple for a Multiply Meal. I promise that I will be doing that. Just buy the large canister of feta cheese at the warehouse club, and grab lots of eggs while you are there.

Classical Brunch Casserole


1 pound Italian sausage
1/2 diced onion
4 ounces sliced mushrooms
3 cups fresh spinach
12 eggs
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp salt
6-8 ounces feta cheese
1 Roma tomato


Slice onion and mushrooms. In a skillet, brown the Italian sausage with the onion and mushroom. Drain most of the fat and place this mixture into the base of a casserole dish. Layer the spinach leaves over the meat. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the spinach leaves. 

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the Italian seasoning, garlic and salt. Pour the eggs over the casserole. Push down any spinach stems that stick out above the eggs. Slice the tomato very thinly. Place the tomato slices on top of the casserole. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.

12 servings,  each   251 calories     14 g protein      20 g fat      2 g net carbs



The feta cheese is really wonderful, but if you are dairy free, I think it would still be good without the cheese. We only had one slice leftover, so I am testing to be absolutely sure this casserole freezes well. Then I will be making this one in triplicate. Another idea would be to bake it in silicone muffin cups for easy reheating in the microwave for busy breakfasts or lunches. Yum. That is one of my favorite ways to keep this crew fed. I think I will make another small one to send back to college with my number two son. He never bothers to go to the cafeteria for breakfast, and tends to rely simply on coffee. Now if he can just figure out a way to hide these from his room mates, all will be good.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

10 comments:

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

Yum! I juat blogged the other day about a low carb crustless quiche I made. I am always looking for easy breakfast make aheads and I am/will def be trying this classic casserole..Yum!

Lisa Marshall said...

Hey Nichole, where is your blog?

Kathleen said...

Looks great. I will be trying this.

Diane said...

Looks awesome! I bet I could even get my parents to try this, and they think my low carb lifestyle is borderline insane.

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)

Unknown said...

wow this sounds great but will do it with out the meat thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I'm baking mine now! Can't wait to try it. The ingredients are all of my fave.Pictures later.

Unknown said...

I'm baking mine now! Can't wait to try it. The ingredients are all of my fave.Pictures later.

Unknown said...

I'm baking mine now! Can't wait to try it. The ingredients are all of my fav's.Pictures later.

Unknown said...

I'm baking mine now! Can't wait to try it. The ingredients are all of my fav's.Pictures later.