companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, August 15, 2011

Loretta Guest Blogs

Loretta has been a favorite Diner of mine for quite a while. She is a natural encourager, a sweet spirit, and I sure wish we lived closer together because  we would have great visits at each other's kitchen tables. When I put out the call for guest bloggers, she sent me this email that really lifted my spirits. What a jewel this woman is!


Just Sayin' Thanks

When I read that Lisa's home was hit by catastrophe and she asked for guest posters, I decided this was a great way to say "thank you" to Lisa. Without realizing it, she has helped me tremendously in making my Low Carb way of life PERMANENT. 

How, you ask? Well, I'm glad you asked...let me tell ya! 

When I first started, I had what I will politely call "resistance". My normally sweet and supportive husband got ruffled when I explained that I wanted to stop eating sugar and flour.

He looked me right in the eye, and emphatically declared: "I love my carbs... I am NOT giving up my carbs!"





Okie dokie then! Right from the start... it was a challenge. I pouted. I felt sorry for myself. I felt sabotaged. I thought "if he really loved me" he would support me. You know... all the self-serving stuff we tell ourselves when we want to be Right!!

But then a great thing happened... *I* changed. Yep, I changed my thinking. I was made to realize... after much whining and complaining to God (disguised as Prayer) that I had a choice. I could continue to have a Pity Party... or I could take this as AN OPPORTUNITY TO GET STRONGER. 

Holy cannoli... I hadn't thought of it that way before. And so... I changed my mind, as solidly as I changed my menu. And when I found Lisa's 24/7 Low Carb Diner blog, I felt encouraged. Here she was, cooking for a whole crew with mixed nutritional needs... and she was making it work! And generously sharing her ideas on this blog.

So I became a copy cat. I would make meals like she suggested, with the heart of it being low carb stuff that I could eat. And then just make add-ons for my man. And the funny part... he never guessed. He didn't realize that slowly but surely, he was eating less and less sugar. Less and less starchy stuff.  

I didn't overdue it, or push it, or preach it. I just did it. In other words, folks, sometimes it pays to keep your mouth shut, LOL! This year, after almost 2 years, and after a medical diagnosis of diabetes, he made the choice to officially join me in eating Low Carb. And it is now easier. I'm not perfect, and it isn't always easy. But it's doable.


But because of that initial resistance, I was forced to make a choice: In or out. Yes or no. And thankfully, I'm all IN. And part of my success is due to seeing how this low carb healthy lifestyle can be lived in the real world, in real life situations, as Lisa shows on her blog. So, thank you, Lisa!




Enjoying the journey,
Loretta




Loretta,  I am so glad my efforts have made a difference!

Update on the storm damage: Some meteorologists are now admitting we were hit by a small tornado. Because the warning system never went off, they aren't willing to admit much...
We have had the emergency work completed, but the adjusters are just too busy to bother with us it seems. We won't see one until Friday. My hubby is really stressed out trying to pay for eating out plus our other bills. We only have a plastic sheet for a ceiling, no insulation in that area (Except that which falls into our food when we try to eat at home), missing walls and concrete floors.  At least all the noisy blowers have been moved out,  so we can hear each other now. Unfortunately, the temps are going back to the upper 90's outside, which seems to equate about 10 degrees hotter than that in the uninsulated areas of the house. Hardly habitable, but the insurance won't promise to pay for a hotel. We just aren't sure how to handle it all.

2 comments:

financecupcake said...

Lisa - I'm so sorry to hear about the damage from the storm! You'll be inmy thoughts this week!

Loretta is one of my favorite bloggers, and I loved reading this post!

Retta said...

Aww, thanks Lisa. RIght back at ya!

Loretta