companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oklahoma Barnyard Burgers


Another burger. Yes ma'am! This one raids the whole barnyard! It will have you mooing, oinking, gobbling and even clucking. The patty is a blend of ground chuck and lean ground turkey. Add in crumbled bacon and an egg to hold it all together, and you have a pretty amazing burger.

This one is smokey and tender and very flavorful. It is a shame to put any toppings on at all. And of course a bun is just an insult.


Oklahoma Barnyard Burgers

1 pound ground turkey
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 2.8 ounce package of real bacon crumbles
1 onion, very finely diced
3 teaspoons liquid smoke
3 Tablespoons low sugar barbecue sauce, plus more for basting
1 Tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend all ingredients together. The meat mixture will be rather wet. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop meat into a Foreman grill or skillet. Form into patty shapes on the cooking surface. Cook until done through. If using a skillet, let the meat set up until firm before flipping. After the last flip, or just before removing the patties from the grill, brush with additional barbecue sauce. Makes 12-13 patties.


The chia seeds help bind the meat mixture together and add some nutrition, but the burgers will work without them. I served ours tonight with some Nana's Coleslaw with a Kick. For toppings, some smoked cheese would be awesome-- just used regular slices that I had on hand.

I just had to name this burger in honor of my home state, with all of our heritage of ranchers. I was in Big Lots today. I almost always check out the cheap recipe books while I am there. Today, I picked up one from the Food Network that had recipes from regional restaurants. Always interested to see if they group Oklahoma in the South, the Southwest or the Plains states, I looked us up. Yep. The table of contents had 50 entries all right, but no Oklahoma. The District of Columbia had a section, but not my state. What the heck? Even Martha Stewart eats here in my home town. If the book wasn't already so dated, I would stage a protest. But--I guess since this book was on clearance at Big Lots, that speaks for itself. Yes, I am sneering now.

2 comments:

Retta said...

My hubby loves hamburgers of any kind so much he wouldn't care if a plague hit and wiped out all the animals except moo cows!

I add chia seeds to my burgers, too. It makes them so moist along with the binding.

And I love the name of this burger! :-D
Loretta
=^..^=

Lisa Marshall said...

Loretta, you are the best!

I am working on the video, I promise. Just had some stressful things mess up my schedule. But you have inspired me...I promise.