companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Easiest Tandoori Chicken


I picked up a new low carb cookbook over the weekend--from the bargain bin at Big Lots. Sad, what that says about the popularity of our way of eating. The recipes are a little too fancy for us, even though they are supposedly made with only three ingredients each. A recipe for Tandori Cornish hens caught my eye. I didn't have little hens, but I do have chicken breast. Tweak time.

One of the three ingredients happens to be tandoori paste. I didn't even know such a thing existed. I did, however, find a recipe online. I adapted it a tiny bit, and changed the other recipe a lot. Just the procedures are changed, though, not the taste itself. I think...

I like it, but then I have been known to eat at the Indian restaurant in town. The guys are eating it, but it will not be their favorite. I am the adventurous one.

Tandoori Paste

1 cup plain yogurt
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric

Blend all ingredients together and let sit for 30 minutes. Use this to marinate chicken pieces, then bake.


Easiest Tandoori Chicken

4 chicken breasts, sliced
1 recipe tandoori paste
1/2 head cauliflower flowerets
5 drops red food coloring
1/2 to 1 cup yogurt

Coat chicken and cauliflower with the tandoori paste. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir food coloring into yogurt. This is optional, but helps make the dish less bright yellow, thus more appetizing. Use half a cup of yogurt for a spicy dish, a full cup to make it family friendly. Stir the yogurt into the chicken mixture. Serves 4.


With all the talk on the low carb boards about quinoa not raising blood sugars, I decided to test it on my hubby. I made a batch to eat as the base to this dish. I am not too crazy about it; not sure if it is worth the expense. We should know the results in an hour or two--or three! If it doesn't raise his blood sugar too much, I might try to make a tabouli with it.

I used frozen chicken strips, but I think the timing would be right for fresh chicken as well. The original recipe call for the hens to marinate for 12 hours. I might try that sometime too.

5 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

That does seem like a lot of work, compared to just zipping through a KFC drive-through. I guess KFC will be around forever.

Best wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa - I have a question related to the Master Mix. What would happen if you used chocolate protein powder? Could you make chocolate muffins or would the chocolate flavor not be strong enough? I may have to look for some chocolate extract and experiment. I bought the coconut flour and plan to try your recipe soon. Thank you. Lynne

Lisa Marshall said...

Lynne,

Most recipes I have seen indicate that some more chocolate flavoring would probably be necessary. I would probably just throw in some cocoa powder, as I have never found an imitation chocolate flavor that I liked. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

I made a batch of brownies with it this past weekend. I used real unsweetened chocolate, but they were a little too dry. I think I may add some zucchini to the batter, but I have to go to the store to get more supplies.

Ellen said...

How did the quinoa affect your husband's blood sugar?

Anna said...

Yes would love an update on how it affected his blood sugar! Looks great.