companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hot Day, Hot Dog Bento


Oscar Meyer franks are the star of this bento lunch for today. It has two hot dogs cut up, with a barbecue sauce for dipping. I even added some habanero sauce to the standard barbecue sauce. Spicy food is actually supposed to help cool you off. I don't know about that, but I like it anyway. Plus, it is going to a scorcher here today. I could barely stand to water the plants this morning.

In addition, I packed olives, celery sticks, and no sugar sweet pickles from Mt. Olive. I am so glad I finally found these pickles in my area. They are great for summer lunches and snacks. In fact, I actually had cucumbers to make my own pickles in my shopping basket when I found these.

I made a quick batch of cheese crisps in the microwave. Believe it or not, that is only one slice of cheese. Cheese crisps only took about two minutes start to finish.

The bento cloths are something I dreamed up. The red and white checked cloth underneath the foods has been waxed to be waterproof and easy to clean. It can be used in the bento box, or it can be removed and used as a luncheon place mat. I made a napkin to match. From one bandana, I got three napkins and a place mat. Pretty good for the 60 cents I invested.

My other bento find of the week is a set of clear rectangular boxes. Those are what the veggies and sauce are packed in. They were at the Dollar Tree. Amazingly, you get eight for just one dollar, and they even have lids. That is great for sauces, dips or puddings and yogurt. That way, there is no worry about spills.

We are going to be gone all afternoon, so I am thawing French Hen Quiche, a Multiply Meal, for dinner. All I will have to do when I get home is heat it up and make a salad. That is the plan for a hot, hot day.

No comments: