companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day


It is that wonderful day when I try to stay out of the kitchen. My guys love me everyday, but they really show it on Mother's Day.

This morning my two youngest boys brought me breakfast in bed. I had fresh hot coffee, just the way I like it. I knew before they came in what was coming my way, because I could smell the aroma of bacon. In the past, I always got breakfast with toast, but now that we eat low carb, they know that is off limits. They offered scrambled eggs, but I wanted to save room for the special lunch out this afternoon.

For our luncheon, we joined my niece and her family and my mother at one of our favorite Mexican Restaurants. They just happen to have a low carb menu, so everyone is happy. I love the house rellenos at Arizona. They aren't breaded, and come with a side salad topped with sour cream, guacamole and fresh salsa. John had a fajita salad. As long as we can stay away from the baskets of tortilla chips, all is fine!

My boys know my passion for cooking. For my gifts this year, I got three varieties of flavored almonds and a new roll of parchment paper. Yes, I did ask for that one. They also know that to make a woman truly happy, one gift should be "just because." So, they also gave me some gold and CZ earrings. What wonderful young men I have.

Since I am trying to stay out of the kitchen today, the only photo I have to share is what we will be munching on for a Sunday night supper. I am going to let the guys heat up some of the Salsa Dancing Chicken I have made as a Multiply Meal. Even though the chicken is coated with salsa, it has a very different flavor from the Mexican meal we had earlier. The Dijon mustard and sweetener make this dish unique. I'm getting hungry just writing about it. Plus, I will admit, I have sneeked into the kitchen today afterall. I just had to make another batch of those addictive Almond Thins. We went to the drive in movies last night, and I finished off the entire batch. Told you we could not control ourselves. Trouble is these were flying off the cookie sheet even before they had time to cool...and it wasn't just me! Already only half a batch is safe in a ziploc bag. Oh well, Mother's Day is not about moderation, right?

No comments: