companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, March 23, 2009

A Diamond in the Rough


I have some extra boys this week. My number two son is home from college for Spring Break. He brought along a couple of buddies. That will expand the menu a bit! Last night, I made a crockpot dish that everyone always loves. Swiss Beefkey.

This is an interesting recipe. Even though everyone I have ever served it to loved it, no one seems to respond to the recipe. It is as though I am giving a recipe for toxic waste. I just don't get it. I offered it to Allrecipes. No response after two years. I posted it on the Stella Style board. Don't think anyone has ever tried it. No feedback from cookbook readers. And yet, my boys request this recipe. My mom made it for a company luncheon and everyone raved. I guess it is a diamond in the rough. Not too pretty, but oh, so good!

Okay, using frozen rolls of ground turkey and beef may not be too appealing at first read. Trust me, though, once you pull out the potato masher, (yes, we low carbers still use those) start to blend the meats, and find how delicate and tender the resulting slow cooked meal is, you will be a believer. Just try it. The turkey is juicy and tender, the beef is flavorful. The combo is heaven piled on a roll and topped with cheese.

Last night, I served the boys Swiss Beefkey on open faced, crusty rolls. We low carbers got ours on Cleochatra's Oopsie rolls. http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/01/sailor-scouts-make-my-revol-oopsie.html

Oh, and I subbed Monterey Jack Cheese for the Swiss. I am one of those types who has trouble sticking to the same recipe all the time. Still totally delicious. Please give it a try. Maybe you could end my Beefkey paranoia.

Swiss Beefkey

1 pound ground turkey
1 pound lean ground beef
2 Tablespoons beef base (watch for sugar)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 pound Swiss Cheese, sliced

Add the ground beef and ground turkey to the slow cooker. They may be frozen. Do not chop them, just leave as rolls. Sprinkle the top of the meat with the beef base, onion powder and garlic.

Cook 8-10 hours on low if frozen, 6 hours if thawed.

Do not discard any liquid in the crock. Use a potato masher or two forks to blend the meat rolls. They will be extremely tender. Allow the liquid to reabsorb for 10 minutes.

Serves 6 457 calories 2 carbs

4 comments:

NeeCee said...

Actually, this is on my menu for this week, so I will be trying it. I'll let you know what we think of it after I make it.

Lisa Marshall said...

...and you were all ready convinced?

Lisa Marshall said...

NeeCee and her family tell me they loved it, but had drips running down their arms while they ate. Be sure to use LEAN ground beef as the recipe states. Fattier beef will give you too much grease. If you have nothing else, go ahead and brown the hamburger a bit before baking, or pour off most of the fat before blending the two meats.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great meal! My husband said he would definitely eat it again. after reading a past blog about beefkey, I thought "why not" I have both frozen beef and frozen turkey and no idea what"s for dinner! Using a potato masher was perfect for this dish. Your ebook has been a lifesaver and so easy follow.